Monday 30 September 2013

Reading List - Books I've Read and Reviewed

It's no secret by now that I'm quite the book worm, so I thought I'd share with you some of the books I've finished recently, and what I thought of them. So basically, a review, I don't make anything simple, do I?








The Time Keeper - Mitch Albom
This one is actually relatively new in terms of its release date, and I'd had it on pre-order for what felt like a lifetime. When it came I'd just finished reading another book so I got cracking straight away, and to my surprise I loved it THAT much I'd read the whole book in 2 days. It was such a compelling story, combining three different people, and the stories of those with too much time, and those with not enough. Its very suggestive on how much we value time, and how much does it really matter? Without giving away too much, I thoroughly recommend it to all of you, and if you get the chance to read this book - TAKE IT. (However, I do not approve of theft...)

Beautiful Ruins - Jess Walter
I'd seen this one flying around in all sorts of press, including Grazia and Glamour magazine, so I was totally intrigued, only when I saw the beautiful cover art in Waterstones was I drawn to it, but this really was quite a pleasant read. The story isn't told chronologically, but yet, manages to tell the story without going back on itself, its well written, set in a 1960's Italy and present-day Hollywood. I find that some of the Italian parts aren't excessively interesting, but for those that like strong descriptions of the scenes, you'll love it. Described in Grazia as a perfect summer beach read, it is just that, a pleasant easy read, and one I can thoroughly recommend if looking for something light-hearted.

The Notebook - Nicholas Sparks
We've all seen the film, or at least one of Nicholas Sparks' heart-wrenching romantic dramas. I liked the film and thought the book would be similar, but in my opinion was so awfully written it took me a good few weeks to finish this teeny book as I was simply so uninterested by it. Big thumbs down from me, I can't even say anything more than how boring I thought it was.


Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote
I'm totally madly obsessed with Audrey Hepburn at the moment, and I decided, before I watch the film, I was going to read the book. This wasn't an issue at all given how tiny this book actually is, it's only around 100 pages but I loved reading it, it really isn't different to the film at all, and now I feel very much like I want to read other books by Truman Capote.

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
I read this on recommendation of that gorgeous lady Zoe Newlove, and I expected great things from it when she said she'd read it four times! It had big claims to live up to, given it states 65 million copies had been sold on the cover, and quotes from Will Smith and Madonna grace it's back cover. I'll admit, I didn't know what to expect at all, and I found it was such an easy read, and reminded me of books I read as a child. It's a fable about a shepard who crosses the desert to reach his dreams, and the troubles and people he meets along the way. I think it is quite the inspiring book, and does have things you can carry into your everyday lives. I loved this book, and will definitely be keeping to read again, maybe even buying other books by Paulo Coelho.

Hope you've all managed to stick with me through my rambles! Do any of you have any book recommendations you think I may like based on these? And what's your favourite book? I'm all for a new read!
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. I actually haven't read any of these so I might have to purchase them and have a read :)! My favourite books which I think you might like if you haven't read them already are The Lovely Bones, The Time Traveler's Wife and Flowers In The Attic.

    Tamsyn-Elizabeth
    Peach Pow XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah let me know what you think! I may try the lovely bones, I've seen the movie. I think I've also seen the time travelers wife, will have to have a read of these two xxx

      Delete
  2. I hate Nicholas Sparks as an author - his books are appalling! I agree with you on Breakfast at Tiffany's though - did you know Truman Capote wanted Marilyn as Holly though? And was totally against Audrey! How crazy!
    Keep in touch!
    Andrea
    www.lanouvellenoire.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, can you imagine?! Marilyn is a dreadful actress, she has about as much charisma as a dishcloth! xxx

      Delete
  3. I'm a big mitch albom fan but haven't read that one yet! definitely want to pick it up asap now :) I'm also not a big nicholas sparks fan! I don't even love the movies that much, but I haven't ever been blown away by any of his books that I've read.

    sundaysgrace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you must, it's simply incredible! I'm currently reading Five people you meet in Heaven. Have you read it? It's such a lovely book!

      Delete
  4. I love reading posts about book recommendations! I certainly will be buying The Time Keeper! So glad you enjoyed The Alchemist! lots of love xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! They're great aren't they? Its nice having a nosey at what other people like I think. Yay let me know what you think! I usually give books to charity if I won't read them again, but I've kept The Alchemist to read again, so that's always a good sign! xxxxx

      Delete

© Lyon Notes. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig